Wednesday 19 January 2011

Dreams vs. Reality

When I was a kid, I used to dream about silly things...things out of fairytale books. Every time I closed my eyes, I'd envision unicorns, rainbows and I'd be a princess in my own little land.

Then I hit the teenage years when I dreamed about things more 'real.' What do I want to be when I grow up? What University should I go to? I saw myself sitting in cafes and libraries, hanging out with faceless friends.

Then I hit University and studied English. When I closed my eyes, I saw a faceless stranger, a man with whom I would fall in love and marry, my 'dream' guy so-to-speak. I dreamed about a future with this stranger, marriage.



Then I hit the career world, got married to a wonderful man, had my first novel published and thought I'm thankful for all of this, every time I go to bed and close my eyes, I now see fog...mist. I see myself stranded in the middle of an open field, filled with grass, no beginning...no end and no roads. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or a good thing. I'm still striving for things so I'm not sure why that is.

Then it hit me...reality hit me...REAL life. The most difficult thing for us is to live in the present because we're all dreamers. The reality is that living in the present would protect us from expectations, thereby possible disappointment.

Apologies if my tone is morbid and if any of these comments offend anyone. I'm not saying dreaming is bad nor reality; I'm just exploring my own thoughts and venting them to you. I welcome your comments on dreaming vs. reality.

I made a video blog about this and wanted to post it for you. But for some reason the file was too big, but only 3 minutes long : /...strange. So I posted it on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment